How to mount a saved image and alternate server to a running server?

This question is answered.

I have create a new server.  I'm trying to mount the saved image and from a previous server so that I can retrieve the data from it into my current new server.

Also, my previous server has failed to boot.  So I would also like to mount it's drive using sshfs, samba, or nfs so that I can retrieve the data from it also.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Verified Answer
  • Thanks, AHoward.

The problem I was having was a lack of network connectivity. I didn't realize that was unique to my rescue mode. My rescue mode didn't have internet. One of the technicians supplied a special patch to give network connectivity. Now that the environment it connected to the internet I don't have any problems using the tools of my question.

I mounted the images using sshfs.

I should have included the lack of network connectivity in my original post. But because that was what I was experiencing, I thought that was the way rescue mode normally worked.

Thanks again for the input and attention.

Have a great day!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

• Thanks, AHoward.

The problem I was having was a lack of network connectivity. I didn't realize that was unique to my rescue mode. My rescue mode didn't have internet. One of the technicians supplied a special patch to give network connectivity. Now that the environment it connected to the internet I don't have any problems using the tools of my question.

I should have included the lack of network connectivity in my original post. But because that was what I was experiencing, I thought that was the way rescue mode normally worked.

Have a great day!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

All Replies
  • Hey L. James,

Cloud Server images aren't stored in a way that lets you mount them directly as you're proposing. You'll have to convert the image to another form first - you have a number of options, though.

1. Build a Cloud Server from the image, then export its files with NFS, and/or copy files with SCP, etc. Once it's a running server, you can use any method you normally would for copying files between servers.
    2. Create a Cloud Block Storage volume from the image. You can do this via the UI, but the UI builds two operations into one - you can't create a CBS volume from an image without also creating a new server using that CBS volume as the primary disk on a new Cloud Server. If you want to do just step 1 (ie: Make the CBS volume but don't create a new Cloud Server), you can do so via API. Here's the call in Pitchfork to do so:
      https://pitchfork.cloudapi.co/cbs/#create_volume-cbs
      Just fill out all the desired details, and be sure to drop your image's UUID in the server_image_id field. Once the image has been copied to a CBS volume, you can connect that volume to a Cloud Server and interact with it very much like you would a USB drive on a physical computer.
      Also, be aware that your image has to be less than 40G in both physical and virtual size to perform this operation successfully.
    3. Export the image to a Cloud Files container. I don't believe this feature is available in the UI at this point - it's API only. Pitchfork does have a call to export an image though, so you don't need to teach yourself pyrax, php-opencloud, etc. Here's the link:
      https://pitchfork.cloudapi.co/images/#export_task-images
      Once the image has been exported to Cloud Files, you can download it directly from the container, at which point you'll have the VHD file, and you can interact with it using any tools that can handle VHD files. Be aware that this does require special tools - a VHD file is not like having a raw copy of a block device - you can't open it with fdisk, parted, etc.
      Also, be aware that your image has to be less than 40G in both physical and virtual size to perform this operation successfully.

As for the non-bootable server, you could try taking an image of it, then trying all of the above. Since it can't boot though, it might also fail to take images. You could try booting that server into rescue mode instead, at which point your original drive should be slaved as a secondary. If you can't make any progress, please make a support ticket and we'll help you out.

Note: I'm a linux tech, so my answers are gonna be pretty linux biased. If you specifically need Windows advice, let us know.

• Thanks, AHoward.

The problem I was having was a lack of network connectivity.  I didn't realize that was unique to my rescue mode.  My rescue mode didn't have internet.  One of the technicians supplied a special patch to give network connectivity.  Now that the environment it connected to the internet I don't have any problems using the tools of my question.

I should have included the lack of network connectivity in my original post.  But because that was what I was experiencing, I thought that was the way rescue mode normally worked.

Have a great day!

-- L. James

-- 
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

• Thanks, AHoward.

Have a great day!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

• Thanks, AHoward.

Have a great day!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames