Thank you for visiting the Rackspace Community
The The Community is live! Post new content or topics so our teams can assist.

Please contact your support team if you have a question or need assistance for any Rackspace products, services, or articles.

(clarification needed) -> cURL PUT not always overwriting existing files

This question is not answered.

Greetings,

Would someone please be so kind to answer/clarify my questions in regards to following thread.

https://community.rackspace.com/products/f/25/p/5069/12101 

What is minimum TTL that can be set on container?

Essentially what I need is for the file to be overwritten and new file available immediately. If the overwrite works fine on the second PUT why doesn't work on the third PUT?

What/how can I make sure each time PUT is performed existing file is overwritten with new file?

Does PUT overwriting the existing file count as a purge?

All Replies
  • Hey there - 

I moved this back into our Developer/API section to get their eyes on it to answer some of your more nuanced questions. 

One question I can answer for you now is the minimum TTL. The default time to live (TTL) value is 72 hours (259200 seconds), with a minimum of 15 minutes (900 seconds) and a maximum of 1 year (31536000 seconds). 

Thanks,

Alan Bush
    Technical Community Manager
    Rackspace Cloud

• From one of our wonderful support guys: You can just upload the new file with the same name. It will replace the original. Then you need to issue the purge to ensure that any subsequent pulls from cdn edge nodes grab the new file. If you purge before uploading, the file can be cached on the edge node for the length of the TTL, and you will need to purge the file again in order for the new one to show.

Also note: Deleting/changing an object does not cause an object to be purged from the CDN.  Usually it is ok to just let the object drop out of cache on its own.  If you need objects to be removed from the CDN after they are removed/changed, then you would need to either issue a purge request on the object themselves (max 25 per day), or contact support to have their container purged for them.

If you reach the purge limit, you will receive the 498 response code.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Catherine (Rackspace Information Developer)