Thank you for visiting the Rackspace Community
The Community is live! Post new content or topics so our teams can assist.

Please contact your support team if you have a question or need assistance for any Rackspace products, services, or articles.

I don't like using curl. Do I have any other options?

This question is answered.

I'm starting to get used to the API in general, but I'm not really great with the command line. I feel like it's hindering me more than anything. Are there any tools with a strong UI or from a Windows machine?

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

As a Racker, we use curl most of the time when troubleshooting issues. I imagine most usecases for end users connecting through the API involves programmatically managing their infrastructure. For those uses, we have multiple bindings in multiple scripting languages including PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, and C#. Most of these are hosted on github, and a simple google search for "PHP Cloudfiles" or "cloudservers python" will normally point you right to them.

However, if you're looking for a simple way to access the API to make some complex changes that our control panel can't handle, Google Chrome and Firefox have some pretty neat extensions you could use. Take a look at them here:

chrome.google.com/.../fdmmgilgnpjigdojojpjoooidkmcomcm

addons.mozilla.org/.../restclient

All Replies
  • Hello,

As a Racker, we use curl most of the time when troubleshooting issues. I imagine most usecases for end users connecting through the API involves programmatically managing their infrastructure. For those uses, we have multiple bindings in multiple scripting languages including PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, and C#. Most of these are hosted on github, and a simple google search for "PHP Cloudfiles" or "cloudservers python" will normally point you right to them.

However, if you're looking for a simple way to access the API to make some complex changes that our control panel can't handle, Google Chrome and Firefox have some pretty neat extensions you could use. Take a look at them here:

chrome.google.com/.../fdmmgilgnpjigdojojpjoooidkmcomcm

addons.mozilla.org/.../restclient

• I'm late to the party here but since the Rackspace nova client was not mentioned, I'll mention it here.

docs.rackspace.com/.../section_gs_install_nova.html

It is easy to install with Python Setuptools and it provides easy command line access to the Rackspace API.

Regards,

Micah Yoder

Rackspace Support

• I've used the RESTClient plugin for firefox in a pinch.  It's particularly usefull if you have to send a long json or xml formatted body, as you can pretty-format it in the body field before sending to make sure everything is right.  Very usefull for quick tests.

• There's many firefox plugins. Poster is another one:

addons.mozilla.org/.../poster

restclient-tool was probably one of my favorites because it's cross platform and integrates with the Eclipse IDE. Though I don't really use it anymore now that I'm using OS X instead of Windows (also not using memory hogging Eclipse).

code.google.com/.../restclient-tool

Also, one for OS X:

ditchnet.org/httpclient

• If you eventually decide to go with a language binding (aka SDK), you'll want to use one of the official SDKs found on developer.rackspace.com. All other bindings have been deprecated.

• Also late to the party, but if you're writing tools in a Windows environment and want to see what they are doing when talking to the APIs then Fiddler (www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2) is a great tool, you can use it to send requests directly as well.

• If you want a tool similar to cURL, but that's easier to use, I would suggest httpie. You can install it using the git repository, or use pip to install it.

# pip install httpie
  • My favorite CURL alternative is a GUI in Chrome via the REST Console extension chrome.google.com/.../cokgbflfommojglbmbpenpphppikmonn